DESCRIPTION OF THE TWIN TOWNS
AND MAP OF LA MANCHE
A historic market town, population about 6,000 with countryside to the north and Bournemouth and Poole a short distance to the south. It has a great community spirit. At its heart is the ancient Minster church of St Cuthburga. Nearby are Kingston Lacy, Badbury Rings and the Rivers Stour and Allen. It is an ideal centre for visiting East and North Dorset, the Isle of Purbeck and the New Forest
Valognes is 20km south of Cherbourg, very convenient for an overnight stop on the way south.
Proud of its long and varied history, it is known as the “Versailles of Normandy” because of its many stately houses once owned by the aristocracy. It suffered serious damage during the 1944 liberation, and no longer has its original castle and church. Within a 25-mile radius is the beautiful valley of the River Saire, the fishing ports of St-Vaast-la-Hougue and Barfleur, the interesting Ile de Tatihou (twinned with Brownsea Island), the wild Cap de la Hague, and the famous invasion sites of Utah Beach and Ste-Mère-Eglise. There are castles to visit at Tourlaville, St-Sauveur-le-Vicomte and Briquebec, and calm bathing beaches at Barneville-Carteret.
For further information about Valognes and Cherbourg, see Links